Yeah, I’m reaching that point in life where youth really isn’t on my side. So, back to the gym for me. Not sure I’ll log stuff daily, mostly because that makes for some pretty boring reading, but you never know…
Today’s workout as prescribed:
Deadlift 5 RM (add 10 lbs to last workout)
Supine Ring Pull Ups 3×12
(rest 5 to 15 min.)
Complete the following sprints:
2 x 100 Meter Sprints (rest 45 secs between efforts)
Rest 45 seconds then…
4 x 50 Meter Sprints (rest 30 secs between efforts)
Rest 30 seconds then…
8 x 20 Meter Sprints (rest 15 secs between efforts)
1) I’m opting for the Crossfit Football plan, mostly because I like power lifting and think sprints are an under-utilized exercise.
2) My 5-rep max deadlift was only 205. In a surprising revelation, it seems my grip strength has deteriorated more during this extended layoff than anything else. My legs and back could’ve handled much more; I just couldn’t hold the bar.
3) Since pull-ups aren’t an option until I drop some weight, I opted for a useless bodybuilding exercise — the lat pulldown. I’ll figure something else out next time around.
4) I’m sure what I was calling “sprinting” was darn comical to anyone driving past the park I was at.
5) Speaking of the sprints, I went with 2x50m & 2x20m, as more volume than that was out of my reach right now.
6) Turns out that keeping your valuables with you at the 24 Hour Fitness keeps people from stealing your car. 😉